Thursday, April 15, 2010

Lawyering Up

We've always known that we were going to have to hire a lawyer when we had a baby. We knew when we chose Virginia over Maryland or DC I probably wouldn't have the option of second parent adoption, and we'd just have to do as much as we could legally to protect me as Pinhead's Mom. And we're still happy to be in VA and not MD or DC.

I just got off the phone with a really good lawyer, we set up a meeting for a couple of weeks from now. It's going to cost us about $2500 to do a comprehensive set of about 13 documents, wills, living wills, power of attorney, etc. Now, I know that straight couples have to do a lot of those documents as well, or at least they should. But still...

The lawyer did mention that if we could have the baby in DC, that would be much better. Um, I'm just not sure that's feasible. It's highly unlikely our ob/gyn docs would travel to DC, or even have privileges in a DC hospital. It would also be a major pain to find a DC ob/gyn - although it's not impossible. The lawyer will explain a lot more about the advantages, and I guess we'll think about it.

We're not really worried or paranoid about me not being about to do anything with/for Noah Maxx. Maybe we're just naive. But a few weeks ago we signed documents that in case of our friend getting deployed with the Army, I get her three kids. If I can legally take care of a friend's kids, I'm pretty sure I can take care of Nerdstar's and mine.

And we don't intend to live in Virginia forever. Maybe not even another five years. So, one way or another, one day I'll adopt my boy.

3 comments:

countingchickens said...

We decided to go with a Fairfax lawyer and it's going to cost between 2000 and 2500. Nice to know we're around the same range. We've also heard the 'go to DC' argument but, because of our location, the fact we really like our doctors AND our possible naivete, we're going to stick with VA. Congrats on picking a lawyer!

Beth said...

It's always nice to know we're not alone in our naivete!

PixieFlute said...

I hope for all your sakes that it works out. I'm sure you've heard/read the various nightmare stories out of VA as I have over the years. Quite honestly it makes us nervous to even step foot in your state to visit Fran's brother. We all have an agreement that if we get sick, we try to make it to a Maryland hospital, we just don't trust what might happen in VA.