Saturday, December 18, 2010

A Nice Surprise

I knew the day would come when DADT would no longer be the law of the land, I just didn't expect it to be this year. (Technically the repeal will be implemented over time next year.) The irony is this was the year Nerdstar separated from the military after over ten years of service between active and reserve duty.

I'm glad another soldier and their family won't have to go through what we did. And honestly, we never had it that bad. No one ever cared one whit that she was gay. But to be in a war zone and to not be free to talk about your loved one back home is a stress no one should have to suffer. I've always thought if straight people had to spend one day removing all evidence of their marriage and not being able to talk about their spouse and/or kids then they might get a small glimpse of what it's like to be under DADT.

Anyway. Thank God this is finally happening.

Here's my old blog posts on being a military wife.

2 comments:

Val said...

amen! :)

meridith said...

Your post sounded SO familiar to me. After 10 yrs with the Dept. of State I resigned and they extended a host of partner benefits about a month later. I had a momentary twinge of something - not regret but maybe "oh, what could have been" - but it was the right decision for me and remained so even after I left. I couldn't have raised a family in the foreign service with the policies as they were and I couldn't support a government that would continually oppress both its workers and, well, an entire group of citizens. I'm raising a quiet glass to your partner, regardless of her current employment, and to the repeal of a law that absolutely shouldn't even have been an option to begin with.