Saturday, July 30, 2011

Thoughts on a Year

Nerdstar and I were talking about a week ago about what, if anything, had been a surprise for us this year. First and most of all, while I felt he would be a good baby/kid - I just can’t tell you how good he is/has been. He’s slept well, ate well, plays well. He's always so happy to go out to eat with us or run errands with me. We won the baby lottery!

I’ve been with him every day this year, and am so happy to be able to say that. I’m so grateful to God for him.

In picking words to describe him, one of the best is undeterred. Some would call it stubborn, but it’s slightly different from that. Two is goofy. In public, especially when strangers talk to him, he has this adorable serious face. He doesn’t laugh easily, (he’s not even really ticklish, but he humors us and laughs anyway) but he has this goofy spirit about him.

This last week, he's starting to warm up to strangers, smile at them, laugh at them, interact with them. It's so funny to watch him be a ham.

In the last week or two he's also started insisting on reading his books. Reading to him wasn't something we really did very often, but he's had his books laying around with his other toys. We noticed he knew which book was which, and he'd throw one to indicate he wanted it read. We've read "Five Little Monkeys" "The Hungry Caterpillar" and an ABC book by Dr. Suess a hundred times lately. He really loved having his Granny and Pa here to read to him.

It's just been a great year overall, in spite of all the worrying we did. We couldn't have asked for a better child!

2 comments:

Sarah said...

My parents read that Dr Seuss ABC book to me so many times when I was a kid that we all three have the whole thing memorized. We still giggle from Aunt Annie's Alligator to the Zizzer Zazzer Zuzz. I took a video of my folks reading it to Charlotte the last time they were here: priceless.

Happy Bday, Noah!

P.S. This has become a favorite of Charlotte's and it's such an awesome book for teaching animals...which will be RIGHT around the corner for you if you can believe it!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0312498071

Beth said...

I remember that ABC book from long ago as well. It's so fun. I've seen that animal book, too. I put it on my amazon list and will get it eventually. It's crazy how much he's making us read to him. I'll post video of him and Ching soon.