Tuesday, August 23, 2011

First Earthquake

That was certainly a big surprise!! Even that may be an understatement. I've been through tornadoes and hail storms and blizzards, those don't scare me. The earthquake today, scared me.
At 2 p.m. Noah and I were hanging out watching videos online when it started. We live fairly close to Quantico and the house frequently shakes when they're setting off large ordinances. At first that's what I thought it was. Then there was this really strange sound, so I got up and carried Noah and sorta looked out the back patio, then it dawned on me OMG this is an actual earthquake.

By then I was trying to figure out what I'm supposed to do, and while thinking about that realizing it's getting stronger and I have no idea if it's going to stop or get much worse. So we stood in the doorway and it finally all stopped shaking. I didn't stop shaking for about another five or ten minutes. Noah didn't seem to notice anything out of the ordinary. And it didn't bother Ramen dog much either, which is weird because he hates thunder and loud noises. I think it might have scared the cat.

Nerdstar wasn't at her normal work location today, she was a little closer to home doing stuff for her pending transfer to a new work location. Her stuff started at noon and wasn't expected to last too long, so she was going to get to come home early. So, after it happened I didn't know when she'd start heading home, and there was no cell phone coverage.

Of course, this being DC, everyone started their drive home early today and the traffic reports were terrible. Ugh. No, it couldn't possibly end up being as bad as when the snow hit last year, but it was still an unknown. She got home about 4:30 - one of the good surprises today.

We haven't felt the aftershocks, well, Nerdstar might have felt one, but it was only a few seconds. No damage, no injuries. Just some frayed nerves.

Now we're just waiting to see if we're gonna get hit by Irene this weekend.

No comments: