Monday, January 2, 2012

Happy New Year

Well, I guess "the holidays" really end tomorrow when most people go back to work. So, happy new year!

We had a pretty quiet weekend. Saturday was nice and we took Noah to the park for a little while. Then we cooked a nice dinner and hung out. Sunday was also nice, so we took Ramen to a dog park. We haven't done that in a very long time. The park doesn't allow kids under 9 in the enclosed area, so Nerdstar and Noah hung out outside the fence and walked back and forth over a little bridge and then sat on a bench and watched all the dogs run around. What was really cool was that Ramen went over and checked on Noah two or three times. I wouldn't have guessed that he'd do that!

I believe 2012 is going to be a good and exciting year. I also have this feeling that it's going to bring some changes for the three of us - as in - we've got to decide where we want to be living at the end of this year.

For the past six years we've moved to where Nerdstar's job was. But that line of work, while it pays really well, isn't as satisfying as it should be for her. It's also not very stable. Yes, she's been employed for 90% of these six years, but the number of jobs and companies she's worked for is crazy. In fact, we don't even know what's going to happen in the next two weeks. The problem has been that these jobs really are only in this area.

There's one set of things we'll do and spend money on if we maintain the status quo here in Virginia. But there's a whole different set of things we'd need to plan for if we want to move back to Texas.

The message I'm hearing regarding 2012 from men I respect and listen to is that it's important to imagine what it is you want. The future is good, and we have to hear what God's saying about that future, then see it, and bring it to our present. (Trust me, I wish I could explain it so much better, without it sounding so shallow.)

Anyway, Nerdstar and I were talking that it might be good if we were both imagining the same thing about where we want to be at the end of the year.

In the meantime, my most concrete resolution is to finally reign in my cussing.

2 comments:

countingchickens said...

that's such a good dog park rule! we used to take Moses when he was a puppy to one in NoVa and often saw toddlers and babes in arms in the enclosure. While the dogs were good, it just would have taken one. Scary for me as a dog owner and now as a parent!

PS I'm with you on the cussing :)

Beth said...

The dog park was near Springfield, and it seemed to have even more rules than a year or two ago.

I totally understand the rule, it's just a drag for all us families with dogs and little kids and need someplace for both to run and play! But yes, it just takes one dog on a bad day. Ramen actually got bit at a dog park one time - we didn't know he was hurt (he kept running around) until the other dog was gone.

Man, this cussing thing is hard - gotta be done though!