Sunday, March 4, 2012

Over this past weekend....

All three of us had a nano-vacation, that means that it's a vacation that lasted less than 24 hours, in Charlottesville, Va. We were supposed to meet up with an old army friend of mine and I guess, for old time's sake, run a local race. Well, things didn't turn out exactly that way, my friend had to cancel since urgent business beckoned, and with a hotel room and race fee already paid for, we might as well make the trip! Noah Maxx only took a 20 minute nap on the way and it was a sort of a precursor for the trip, that neither he or his moms would be getting much sleep.

One of the upside was that another one of our friends called the day prior to the trip and we decided that dinner on Friday will be a good way to catch up and see his growing family of 4. Yes, that friend of mine was also from my army days. We've also arranged to meet up with Ruby Reed and her moms (we'll call her RR) the following day.

For some reasons, I think I've sort of stopped making friends after I left the army, while most of them and myself stay in touch through the cyberspace, in this present life, I guess people are just that much harder to figure out. Perhaps the same goes to us. For me personally, I really miss relating to people (and vice versa) without so many layers of censors and filters. Maybe it's the mentality that I've got when it comes to dealing with people, I think I've gotten that from growing up in New Jersey in the 80's.

Anyway, I think I've probably spoken too much about that, but back to the trip we go.

We drove down to C-Ville in the rain, that same storm front also caused the death of 30+ people in the Midwest, but thankfully, it wasn't as severe in Virginia. We checked in the hotel (Holiday Inn, y'all!) and after they delivered the pack and play for Noah to sleep in, we set out to meet up with my friend at a local restaurant. Our Garmin lead to this empty lot next to this put-put course and with spotty cell phone signals, I was then playing phone tag with my friend. It turned out, that the actual restaurant was at the mall across the street from the empty lot. I think our Garmin has Alzheimer's, I really am beginning to think so.

Dinner was spent trying to chat, feed the kids (there were a 3 year old, 6 months old, and our Noah, at 19 months old.), and by the end of dinner we went into the mall so the kids can burn off some energy. I think I must have ran more than the actual race distance chasing after Noah in the mall. We all had to go back when one of the kids had a diaper blowout that needed to be tended to. I wish my friend well, he's also in the defense contracting industry and things are a bit (to put it mildly) shaky right now, not a good time to have things be shaky when you're trying to buy a house and not be broke.

Back at the hotel, Noah did not want to go to sleep. Maybe it's the different environment, or maybe the pack and play just felt weird. B and I were really tired but when we did finally get to bed, none of us really slept. Maybe it was the caffeine, or maybe it was us not used to the bed. You can imagine how tired I was when I woke up at 6:30 to get ready for the race.

About the race? Well, I was 30 minutes late for it because I got lost. I'm kind of surprised that they still let me in. It was a beautiful but hilly trail that the race was set in. No, I didn't win the race, wasn't even close to it, but that was ok, and it was neat simply to watch other people farting and grunting along the way while I was probably doing the same.

After the race was over, I headed back to the hotel and took a really quick shower while feeding Noah a banana and trying not to trip over anything. We took off for RR's house. It didn't take us but 5 minutes to get there. We played in their basement with a bunch of RR's toys, which Noah really liked and chatted about things ranging from (from what I could remember) toddler care 101 to the people in the rock band that one of RR's moms is in.

We felt kinda bad because by us showing up at that particular time of the day, we had interrupted RR's nap schedule. (For those who are who are wondering, RR is a month older than Noah.) We headed back to the mall and ate at the Chick Fil A there, and then Noah busted his upper lip after a post lunch run in the mall. Thankfully, he didn't bust more than his lip and the bleeding stopped really soon afterward. More importantly, Noah's pain tolerance is high enough that after maybe 5 minutes, he went about business as usual. He even gave RR a kiss on the forehead before we said goodbye! (It was his first kiss to a girl! All of you go ahead and say "awwww..." now!) Thanks to RR's moms for their hospitality and conversations to remind us that we are not alone in this child rearing adventure as we feel at times.

For such a quick trip, I'd say that it wasn't that bad. Noah was a trooper, as usual!

Will probably post a photo or two later, so stay tuned!


meridith said...

We had a great time with you all. RR did remarkably well despite being sleepy - I think you had her on her best behavior. See you again soon!!

Beth said...

Thanks for having us! RR is so cute and was a great kid, glad her nap wasn't too disrupted! We're ready for the rock n roll!

Nerdstar said...

Meridith, I gave RR the rest of my 5 hour energy drink :-)

Emer said...

ha...good read, sounds like a nice weekend and no; you're not alone :)