Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Grow and Change

Noah is a great kid 90% of the time. He's a great kid more of the time than I'm a great mom. He's smart, and sweet, but he's also incredibly strong-willed. He doesn't care how many times you tell him NO. He doesn't care how many times you pick him up and move him away from something, or smack his hand, or anything else you try to do to get him to not do something. So, we've set things up as much as possible to keep him out of trouble, but we can't put him in a padded room forever. Lately, he loves to get the mouse off the desk and click it. It's not like I want to have to remember to turn it off or take it with me all the time.

We just don't know what's going to be effective in disciplining him. I'm not even sure it's a problem of him not talking yet. He absolutely understands when he's doing something he's not supposed to. He just looks at us and does it again. When he's done the same thing several times, I'm starting to go put him in his crib and tell him it's time out. I think that's more for my sanity than his discipline though.

And my sanity seems to be the bigger problem some days. The times that are so frustrating are when I want "just one damn minute" to get "one damn thing" done. Like when it's almost 2 in the afternoon and I haven't had lunch and I just want to make a sandwich or something and he isn't taking his nap yet and won't stay out of trouble for three consecutive minutes. This is when I just don't have the patience to deal.

Now, it's not Noah's fault he has a mother with a short temper and lack of patience. And trust me, I apologize to him often.

Then there are the whole days, or half days, where I'm just too tired, not feeling well enough, or frustrated with Nerdstar, and it's a struggle to get through. I hate those days.

I know that Noah will grow and change. He'll learn to talk and get into different things. It won't always be the same struggles. But what I hope is that I'll grow and change. And that we'll figure out how to handle this very strong-willed boy!

No comments: