Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Change is Coming

One thing we've consistently said is that we can make our plans for Noah, right up until those plans come in touch with the reality of who Noah becomes.

I don't think it's any secret I'm not a big fan of public schools, especially when it comes to boys, and then even more so when it comes to our boy.  When Noah started noticing other kids at the park and playing chase and such with them, well, my thoughts started to change.  He really, really likes being with other kids.

Yesterday, at the park, a school bus pulled up with about 25 kids who were going to play on the playground before going to the water park.  He stood there mesmerized as they all walked over to the playground and eventually found three or four boys to hang out with.  Today, there were two kids playing when we got to the playground, but they soon left.  Then, a lady with four kids came and when he saw them get out of their car he stood there and waved and said hello before they even saw him on the playground.

So...

I had put in an application at one pre-school that Noah's speech people had recommended.  It's through a Methodist church, doesn't require potty training, and works with kids like Noah who might be a little delayed in speech or other areas.  I got a call about two weeks ago saying there was a wait list for the morning sessions, and said that was fine.  They have two day a week and three day a week options from 9 to 12.

I got a call this morning saying he could start in the three day a week classes.  I'm still hopeful the two day a week will open up, but three is fine.

I'm already sad about how much I'm going to miss him.

I know this will be good for him for so many reasons other than just letting him hang out with other kids and make friends.  And those things will be good, but they don't matter as much to me.

Noah is the sweetest kid I know, and out going.  He's easy going and happy.  I'm all on board with this pre school thing, unless it starts to change our boy.

No comments: