Sunday, December 22, 2013

The Dentist, Literally, and Other Thoughts

Noah had his first dentist appointment the other day.  About seven weeks ago we noticed that one of his front teeth was starting to turn a little grey.  The internets said that as long as the gums were ok, it was nothing to worry about.  We figured getting it checked out couldn't hurt.

At the dentist, he went right back with the lady and got up on the chair and began his usual stoic, good response.  They did a quick check of everything and a cleaning.  Towards the end he got a little upset, but we didn't even have the silent tears!  The dentist said everything looked good.  I told him I was really proud of him and thanked him for being such a good kid, but I'm not sure how much he gets that.

One thing that's caught my attention lately is how Noah is completely literal.  So far, there's no sign of imagination or pretend.  His speech is coming along.  He's talking more and in longer phrases, his vocabulary continues to grow.  One of his most used phrases is still "what's that?"  We have no idea when he'll change to why instead of what.  He's also still very undeterred, once he says he wants something, he is relentless until he gets it - or we sometimes succeed in changing the subject.  I was talking with Ching about the literalness, and how it seems that once we lose that, we're never that literal again.  I don't know how to explain it better.  I just find it interesting.

In other news, I put on facebook the other day that everything Noah knows about Christmas, he's learned from Curious George and Mickey Mouse Christmas specials.  We did a little decorating this year, but we'll do more next year.  I also said that I'm more impatient and excited to give Noah his present than I was a kid waiting for mine.  A few weeks ago he started really getting into firetrucks, so we got him a nice Tonka one.  We really can't wait to see his reaction!

No comments: