Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Making Friends is Hard

About three months ago, we had one of Noah's classmates and his mom over for a play date.  The boys had fun being totally goofy, and I enjoyed talking with the other mom.  Since then, that boy seems to be Noah's favorite classmate - he is always happy to see him at school in the morning, he even says hi to the mom in his own silly way.  There always lots of chatting and a little fun for the boys before class starts.

I kinda follow the my turn/your turn principle of getting together.  I'll do an invite and then I assume if the other person wants to get together again, they'll do an invite.  Well, there's never been a second play date.  On a couple of days when we ended up not having school because of snow or something, I sent out some invites to this mom and a few others, one time to the whole email list for his classmates.  Nothing. 

Here's where I get sad.  The mom has mentioned other plat dates and the boy have had.  These could have been with neighborhood kids, not classmates.  But I know Noah would love to play with this little boy again.  And I don't feel like I can make that happen.  And I don't know why it's not. 

Of course the other mom could just be busy and all that - nothing personal or anything.  But I don't really know how to navigate this territory and it makes me sad all around.  Sad because Noah loves being around his "friends" so much, and sad because I like these other moms and was hoping to make some new friends. 

No comments: