Thursday, March 20, 2014

Is Noah Bored?

This post might ramble a little because I'm finding it hard to know where to start.  I've been mulling all of this over for a few days, and it seems Ching and I talk about it all the time.

Just over a year ago, Ching and I were not planning on sending Noah to pre-school.  She and I were both lucky enough to stay at home with moms or grandparents until kindergarten.  Plus, Noah didn't really seem like the right kind of kid for pre-school.  Then, he developed his love of other kids, and had his speech delay, and pre-school seemed like a good idea. 

He's had a mix of speech/development therapists and they've remarked on his short attention span when it comes to staying on task with things like books and specific activities.  I've always kind of thought - well, he has no interest in those things at his young age, why would he pay attention.  If he didn't have a speech delay, no one would be worried about his attention span, because he'd just be outside playing.

Ching and I often wonder just how smart our boy is.  Again, his speech delay makes it hard sometimes.  But, by 2 1/2 he had learned the alphabet, numbers, shapes and colors just by watching videos of trains carrying these things.  And like most kids, he has an amazing memory. 

He started off doing pretty well in pre-school.  He's always happy to get up and go to school and see is friends and play with them.  We do think it's helped his speech along. 

In the past month or so though, he's started playing more rough, pushing the kids, and having a harder time staying on task. 

Yes, part of this is the stupid, stupid weather we've had and all the days of school we've missed and all the time stuck in the house.  There have been a few warm days, and since then he's wanted to be outside all the time. 

But here's where I think he's bored.  He is not a kid that's into pre-school activities.  He has no interest in arts and crafts or story time.  And I think he's also lost interest in the activities he really enjoyed for a while - such as playing in the pretend kitchen.  (That's why we never bought him a kitchen to play with at home, so he wouldn't get burned out.) 

Now, I admit I'm pretty biased against schools.  I am not convinced they are good places for little boys in particular.  Yes, they have playground time, weather permitting, but so much of the activities are basically sitting/standing at a table and doing something.  I do know they try to vary things.  Noah just wants to run and run and play and run. 

The purpose of pre-school is to get kids ready for school.  But he's 3 1/2 and if he didn't love kids wouldn't be in school at all.  So, part of me keeps resisting making him do school activities at home for practice. 

Is 3 1/2 y/o behavior a really good indicator of 5 y/o behavior?  I don't really know. 

I also wonder if they perceive his behavior one way because he's been defined as speech and development delayed.  Could it be he's one of those kids who's smart and bored?  We don't know.  Do 3 1/2 y/o get bored like that?

I don't know.  I don't know how to make sense of all of this.  The counter argument to so much of what I think is that there are kids his age who do all of this just fine.  And we just don't really have a good gauge for what's normal, yet I also find I don't always trust the people defining normal.  If you're in the education field, well, you tend to see everything as being fixed by education. (Do NOT get me started on ADHD and it's rise in it's diagnosis.) 

I'm sure there will be more to write on this as it comes up.

No comments: