Friday, October 24, 2014

Tying the Knot

As most of you know, the Supreme Court didn't do something a few weeks ago, so now gay marriage is legal in our dear state of Virginia.

We were kinda surprised by this.  At first, we really didn't think too much of it or have any grand plans.  As it sunk in, and we thought about it, we decided why not. 

Now, if that seems underwhelming, well, we've been together well over 15 years.  We own a house, have a kid, have pets, you know - all the things that make most people married already. 

Also, as most of you know, getting married is a two step process - get the license and then have the ceremony.  Neither of these was as easy to schedule as they could have been.  We had thought that Monday the 3rd would be good - we could go to the courthouse in the morning and then have the ceremony and a good lunch.  Noah is out of school that day.  But, the person we (I) chose to do the officiating wasn't available that day. 

Well, Ching had a doctor's appointment scheduled for this afternoon, so we decided she could take the whole day and we could go to the courthouse this morning.  And that's what we did.  We now have the state's license to get married.  Took longer to drive there than to get the forms and pay the fee.  It all felt bureaucratic, not romantic.  (I know, the romance is in the next part.) 

The official ceremony is next Thursday evening at our house.  Just us and Noah. 

I told Ching if she just imagined she was writing some loving words about beef noodle soup and applied them to me I'd be pretty happy. 

I also told her she's getting upgraded from Baby Mama to Wife.  heh. 

I think that until the ceremony is all said and done, I always have this fear in the back of my mind something will prevent this from happening.  But, as the day creeps closer, we get a little more excited. 

After the Supreme Court decision, we got a letter from our lawyer that explained this also means I can finally adopt Noah.  That makes me very happy!  That process will start after the ceremony and hopefully won't take too long. 

3 comments:

Megan said...

How exciting!!! Congratulations to you all! (Also, apologies for missing this the first time around.)

Anonymous said...

I'm glad for you that you can adopt Noah. Laurie

countingchickens said...

HUGE congratulations!